Student visa : Extend your visa – GOV.UK

We use some essential cookies to make this website work.
We’d like to set additional cookies to understand how you use GOV.UK, remember your settings and improve government services.
We also use cookies set by other sites to help us deliver content from their services.
You can change your cookie settings at any time.
Departments, agencies and public bodies
News stories, speeches, letters and notices
Detailed guidance, regulations and rules
Reports, analysis and official statistics
Consultations and strategy
Data, Freedom of Information releases and corporate reports
You may be able to extend your Student visa to stay longer and continue your course or study a new course. This includes if you currently have a Tier 4 (General) student visa.
To extend your visa you must:
If you’ve been in the UK with a valid visa for less than 12 months, you’ll need to prove you have enough money to support yourself in the UK.
Your partner or children will need to apply separately to extend their visa. They can either apply at the same time as you, or at any time before their current visa expires.
You can also switch to a Graduate visa to stay in the UK for at least 2 years after successfully completing your course.
If you’re currently studying in the UK, you’ll usually need to show your studies will be at a higher academic level than your current course.
Your new course must be one of the following:
You do not need to show your studies are at a higher level if you’re doing one of the following:
Read the guidance for more information about when you need to prove your studies are at a higher level.
You can get a CAS if you’re applying to work as a student union sabbatical officer.
The earliest you can apply is 3 months before your course starts.
You must apply before your current visa expires. Your new course must begin within 28 days of your current visa expiring.
For example, if your visa expires on 1 December, you must apply for a new visa before 1 December. Your new course must begin by 29 December.
You must also apply within 6 months of getting a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS).
You can stay in the UK until you get your decision.
If you applied for an administrative review because your application was refused, you can stay in the UK until you get your review decision.
For each person, you’ll need to pay:
You’ll need to have your biometric information (fingerprints and a photo) taken – there’s no fee for this.
You must apply online.
As part of your application you’ll need to prove your identity. How you do this depends on where you’re from and the type of passport or resident permit you have.
You’ll either:
You’ll be told what you need to do when you apply.
Start now
You must not travel outside of the UK, Ireland, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man until you get a decision. Your application will be withdrawn if you do.
A decision will usually be made within 8 weeks.
You may be able to pay to get a faster decision – you’ll be told if you can when you apply.
You’ll be contacted if your application is complex and will take longer, for example because:
If you need to change something in your application after you’ve sent it contact UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI).
You can ask to withdraw your application by contacting UKVI. Your fee will only be refunded if UKVI has not started processing your application.
If your application is successful, you’ll get either:
You can apply for a Student visa if you’re 16 or over and want to study on a further or higher education course in the UK.
If you’re under 18 and you want to study at an independent school in the UK, you may be eligible for a Child Student visa instead.
If you’re doing a masters degree or above, you may need to apply for the Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) certificate.
You’ll need to prove your identity as part of your application.
You’ll usually get a decision within 3 weeks.
You’ll need to prove your identity as part of your application.
You’ll usually get a decision within 8 weeks.
You might be able to extend your visa to stay longer in the UK.
If you break the conditions of your visa you may not be able to come to the UK again.
Don’t include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.
To help us improve GOV.UK, we’d like to know more about your visit today. We’ll send you a link to a feedback form. It will take only 2 minutes to fill in. Don’t worry we won’t send you spam or share your email address with anyone.


Leave a Comment