Sky News viewers were left ‘lost for words’ after the broadcaster’s coverage of the Justice for Chris Kaba march.
The march took place in London this weekend following the fatal shooting of 24-year-old Kaba, who was shot dead by a Metropolitan Police officer earlier this week.
Kaba was killed by a single bullet fired during an attempted arrest in south London, with an investigation launched soon after.
The young man, who was soon to become a father, became involved in a police chase when an automatic number plate reader flagged that the car he was in may have been linked to a firearms offence.
Armed police swooped on the vehicle after hemming it into a narrow street but a search later revealed Kaba was not armed.
CPR attempts were made after he was shot but he could not be revived, leading to an outpouring of anger in his community. His family believes he may still have been alive had he have been white.
I am lost for words.
Sky News reporting the Justice for Chris Kaba march as a tribute walk for the Queen’s death.
Following the tragic events, Kaba’s family organised a protest march to Scotland Yard on September 10, beginning at Parliament Square at 12pm.
With thousands of royal fans also gathering in the streets over recent days following Queen Elizabeth II’s death aged 96, reporters mistook Kaba’s march for people paying tribute to the late monarch.
The Queen’s death was announced by Buckingham Palace on September 8, with the palace confirming she died at Balmoral Castle, surrounded by family members.
Mourners have since been paying their respects by laying flowers and greeting new King Charles III outside Buckingham Palace upon his return from the Scottish Highlands.
After watching Sky News’ coverage of the Chris Kaba demonstration, viewers were angry, with one sharing a video to Twitter in which news presenters could be heard talking as a clip showed hundreds of people walking the streets.
‘The weight of this historic moment has been felt here at the gates of Buckingham Palace. Thousands of people still arriving to pay their respects to the Queen’, the broadcaster said.
Correcting them and expressing their shock, the person behind the video said: ‘Bruv, this is the Chris Kaba march. Yeah, look at them, they’re all Black, mate.’
Others also took to social media to express their thoughts, many branding it ‘poor journalism’ and ‘shameless’.
‘Yo @SkyNews what kinda reporting is this?? It would take mere seconds of fact checking to know this isn’t some “tribute walk”, this is community coming together for the death of yet another unarmed black man at the hands of the met police’, one wrote.
‘How can u make such a mistake like this’, asked another, while a third said the coverage made them ‘sick to my stomach’.
‘There needs to be an apology for this. On TV, not just some Twitter statement. Chris Kaba’s family deserves better’, another person penned.
Vanessa Feltz in heated clash with royal biographer over Meghan Markle
Tearful David Beckham pays respects to the Queen after waiting in queue for 13 hours
Lady Colin Campbell accuses Meghan Markle of being a ‘poser’ at Queen’s procession
In a statement issued after Kaba’s death, his family said they are ‘devastated’ and they need ‘answers’ and ‘accountability’.
Meanwhile, the Met Police confirmed a homicide probe has been launched, an offence which covers both murder and manslaughter.
Sky News has been contacted for comment.
Got a story?
If you’ve got a celebrity story, video or pictures get in touch with the Metro.co.uk entertainment team by emailing us email@example.com, calling 020 3615 2145 or by visiting our Submit Stuff page – we’d love to hear from you.
Get us in your feed