Former President Donald Trump could be allowed to return to Facebook in time for the 2024 election season,’ Meta’s President of Global Affairs Nick Clegg revealed Thursday.
‘He could be. We’ve been very open that that temporary suspension is a two-year period though ’til early January of next year,’ Clegg said in an interview Thursday in Washington, D.C. with Semafor’s Editor at Large Steve Clemons.
Clegg, who previously served as the UK’s Deputy Prime Minister explained that ‘if we think there is content on our platform which will lead to real-world harm- physical harm – then we feel we have a clear responsibility to act against it.’
In Trump’s case, Clegg said that Facebook would have to weigh ‘how that may or may not effect the risks of real world harm.’
If lifted, Trump would be allowed back on the social media website on January 7, 2023.
Trump, who amassed 35 million followers on Facebook, was banned from the platform in 2021 after making comments that allegedly incited the January 6 Capitol attack.
At the time, the Silicon Valley giant said Trump would only be allowed back on the site if ‘the risk to public safety has receded.’
He was also kicked off Instagram and Twitter that January, in response to MAGA riot.
Meta’s President of Global Affairs Nick Clegg (left) said former President Donald Trump ‘could be’ allowed back on Facebook in January. He was interviewed by Semafor’s Steve Clemons (right) Thursday morning in Washington
Donald Trump could be allowed back on Facebook in time for the 2024 election season, Meta’s president of global affairs revealed on Thursday
Mark Zuckerberg, Meta and Facebook’s founder, kicked Trump off of the social media website for his role in the Capitol insurrection
Speaking today at a Semafor Exchange event, Clegg said: ‘When you make a decision that affects the public realm, you need to act with great caution.
‘You shouldn’t throw your weight about.’
Trump is said to be facing a challenge for the 2024 Republican nomination from Florida Governor Ron DeSantis, although neither man has yet declared their intention to run for the White House.
In the wake of his ban last year, Trump warned that big tech will pay a ‘political price’ for taking away his free speech.
The decision was an unprecedented move of censorship on a world leader and sparked a global debate over how much control social media and big tech should have.
In an email to supporters in May 2021, Trump fumed: ‘What Facebook, Twitter, and Google have done is a total disgrace and an embarrassment to our Country.
‘Free Speech has been taken away from the President of the United States because the Radical Left Lunatics are afraid of the truth, but the truth will come out anyway, bigger and stronger than ever before.
‘The People of our Country will not stand for it! These corrupt social media companies must pay a political price, and must never again be allowed to destroy and decimate our Electoral Process.’
Nick Clegg (pictured) is in charge of lifting Trump’s ban. He previously served as the UK’s Deputy Prime Minister
‘Another Witch Hunt by a racist Attorney General, Letitia James, who failed in her run for Governor, getting almost zero support from the public, and now is doing poorly against Law & Order A.G. candidate, highly respected Michael Henry,’ Trump wrote in a post on Truth Social.
‘I never thought this case would be brought – until I saw her really bad poll numbers. She is a fraud who campaigned on a ‘get Trump’ platform, despite the fact that the city is one of the crime and murder disasters of the world under her watch!’
Trump added in a followup post: ‘Attorney General Letitia ‘Peekaboo’ James, a total crime fighting disaster in New York, is spending all of her time fighting for very powerful and well represented banks and insurance companies, who were fully paid, made a lot of money, and never had a complaint about me, instead of fighting murder and violent crime, which is killing New York State. She is a failed A.G. whose lack of talent in the fight against crime is causing record numbers of people and companies to flee New York. Bye, bye!’
The Facebook revelation comes at a tough time for Trump – after he was yesterday sued by New York Attorney General Letitia James for allegedly engaging in ‘numerous acts of fraud’ following a three-year probe.
James announced the $250million suit against the former president, citing a document that accuses Trump and his three eldest children of pumping up property far beyond their actual valuations when seeking lending to expand his real estate empire.
She specifically named Trump and his three adult children, Don Jr., Eric, and Ivanka Trump, and said they ‘persistently’ inflated the value of assets.
And although her suit is only a civil matter, James said she would refer evidence she uncovered to other authorities.
James said Trump’s financial statements were ‘greatly inflated, grossly exaggerated, and objectively false,’ and went on to detail many of those valuations that he claimed.
Her suit comes after a three-year probe, and less than two months before the November elections, where Trump isn’t on the ballot but many of his preferred candidates are.
The total ‘fraud’ was in the amount of $250 million, she claimed, and came in financial statements from 2011 to 2021.
That amount is for ‘disgorgement of all financial benefits obtained through the persistent fraudulent practices,’ according to the AG’s office.
Trump was also at the center of a FBI raid in August – when his Mar-a-Lago mansion was ransacked and documents were seized by agents as part of an ongoing investigation.
The Justice Department has said it was investigating Trump for removing White House records because it believed he illegally held documents including some involving intelligence-gathering and clandestine human sources – among America’s most closely held secrets.
The FBI says it took about 11,000 documents, including roughly 100 with classification markings found in a storage room and an office, while serving a court-authorized search warrant at the home on August 8.
Trump and his three children (pictured) were slapped with the $250million lawsuit on Wednesday just weeks after the former president’s Mar-a-Lago home was raided by the FBI
Published by Associated Newspapers Ltd
Part of the Daily Mail, The Mail on Sunday & Metro Media Group